History

History


In 1897 Esther and Harry Jaffe started a used furniture store in the heart of downtown Scranton. The business enjoyed slow and steady growth until 1931 when the couples son, Jerome brought new energy to the business. Under his direction, Penn Furniture grew and prospered.

In 1970, Lee Jaffe, son of Jerome and Beatrice, took the furniture business to a new level. Lee introduced many of the high-end furniture manufacturers that we are still partnered with today. Penn Furniture’s design service became an integral part of the business. To this day, Penn Furniture employs and caters to many of the regions top designers.

The Jaffe family has also traveled the world looking for beautiful furniture or accents. From the early days of importing carved rosewood furniture or blue porcelain from China, to our more recent Indian imports, Penn Furniture has worked hard to have an expansive and diverse inventory.

Today, Adam Jaffe is continuing the tradition of fine furniture with his brother, Alex Jaffe. Together, they represent the 4th generation of Jaffe’s to operate Penn Furniture. They are committed to offering only the finest quality furniture as well as the service that goes along with it.